An introduction to the Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings - 2011 Census linked dataset
As part of the Wage and Employment Dynamics project, funded by ADR UK, data from the Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE) has been linked to data from the 2011 Census for England and Wales. This short course will give users a thorough introduction to the ASHE-2011 Census dataset with a focus on practical usage.
Presenter: Lucy Stokes
Level: Entry (no or almost no prior knowledge)
Contact: Sandra Gogacz, University of Manchester, firstname.lastname@example.org
The course covers:
- An overview of the ASHE-2011 Census dataset, including reasons for using the data, the contents of the dataset, and information about its construction.
- A case study example using the linked dataset.
- Hands-on examples using a synthetic, simplified version of the linked data.
- Information on practical aspects such as how to apply for access to the data.
By the end of the course participants will:
- Understand the content of the ASHE-2011 Census dataset and how this may be useful for research and analysis.
- Have a more detailed understanding of how to use the dataset and important factors to bear in mind for analysis, such as the use of weights.
- Gained practical experience in working with a synthetic, simplified version of the data.
- Understand the practicalities of accessing and working with the ASHE-2011 Census dataset.