The Longitudinal Education Outcomes (LEO) dataset is now available in the ONS Secure Research Service
15 July 2021
The de-identified Longitudinal Education Outcomes (LEO) Iteration 1 Standard Extract (LEO I1SE) dataset is now available for accredited researchers to apply to use in the Office for National Statistics (ONS) Secure Research Service (SRS).
LEO is a de-identified, person-level administrative dataset that brings together education data with the employment, benefits and earnings data of members of the public. The dataset allows researchers to analyse longer-term labour market outcomes at person level, enabling a major leap forward in the assessment of education policy and provision, and with greater accuracy than ever before.
Research questions this dataset is already being used to explore include:
- How does the quality of education affect long-term outcomes in the labour market?
- How do some education policies affect social mobility?
- Which education pathways are likely to result in positive labour market outcomes?
How to access the LEO dataset
Researchers seeking to securely access this new de-identified dataset must first become an accredited researcher; more information about how to achieve accreditation can be found on the ONS website.
All project applications for LEO in the SRS will:
- Be considered by the data owning departments (HMRC, DWP & DfE) and the independent Research Accreditation Panel (RAP) and must meet the Research Code of Practice and Accreditation criteria published by the UKSA.
- Need to request access to specific variables within LEO using the LEO I1SE Variable Request Form.
- Not have the ability to onward link to additional person level data (additional non-person level data is permitted).
A user guide will be made available to approved projects within the SRS and a knowledge base “wiki” and FAQ’s, to support applications and research, will be published soon.
For any queries regarding access to LEO data within this service please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For any queries regarding LEO Programme itself please contact email@example.com.
Visit the Gov.UK website for further guidance on accessing the LEO dataset.